Monday, March 10, 2014

Great Pizza at Gino's Brick Oven Pizza, Katipunan

I had heard about Gino's at Katipunan and asked my students about it -- surprisingly even if it was just a stone's throw away from the Ateneo, quite a number had never heard of it.  The few who had tried it said it was worth a stop over before I headed home after class.



Gino's is on the second floor of this building across Miriam University,  look for the Mercury Drugstore on the ground floor.  It's a bright, cheerful place, with basic tables and chairs but with a shiny wooden floor.  These wooden floors spell the difference for me -- the owners obviously care enough to make a better impression.  Connected to Gino's is Cello's Doughnuts -- most likely owned by the same group.  


The first time I tried Gino's I ordered 3 pizzas to take home.  The waiter recommended the SMEGG,
with their own homemade sausage, mushrooms, gouda cream and eggs.  It was still slightly warm when I got home --  despite  the C5 traffic.  Gino's brick oven makes for a softer, thin crust which makes lifting each slice difficult -- best solution is to fold each slice and eat it like that.


This is Gino's mushroom pizza -- their best seller and I heartily agree.  It reminded me of Mozza's mushroom pizza but with a lot less mushrooms.  I liked the fact that this pizza used cream as a base instead of the usual tomato sauce.  Aside from mushrooms and garlic, you can also taste a lot of the mozzarella and a hint of bleu cheese.  My favourite!


Gino's Margherita pizza is also one of their bestsellers.  Tomato sauce, mozzarella and crumbled kesong puti with a sprinkling of chopped basil -- simple and very tasty.


Two weeks later, I was back at Gino's this time with friends.  For starters, we ordered the Burratta, (in Italian, it means "buttered")  a huge pocket of mozzarella and cream that was a bit rich for my taste.   Drizzled with EVOO  and a bit of freshly ground black pepper which somehow,  cut through a bit of the cheesy creaminess.
My friends are carnivores so we also ordered a side of speck or smoked prosciutto.


This is called the Bomb and yes -- it's an explosion of pizza goodness! Onions caramelized in balsamic vinegar added a sweetish tangy taste -- plus mozzarella, bleu cheese and mushrooms... yes, I agree -- it's appropriately named.



I didn't taste this but my meat loving friends did -- the buffalo chicken pizza looked spicy hot but was quite mild.   Gino's tried and true combination of mozzarella and bleu cheese plus tomato sauce and chopped chicken  is a flavour that buffalo chicken wing lovers will definitely recognise and enjoy.


Here are my pizza loving carnivorous friends ... please don't judge us by the number of pizzas we ate!

No comments:

Post a Comment